Monday, June 24, 2013

First Teaching Experience


First Teaching  Experience
Keyanna Tolon
June 11, 2013

The setting of the classroom was set up like a typical classroom: set up with desks, boards, bookshelves, the only thing that was different was the fact that there were not any clocks in the room nor technology other than the teachers laptop. I noticed that a few students had trouble reading as well as writing, and needed help comprehending what they were reading. Since I had middle school students, I know that they are going through a phase of wanting to be accepted which would be the Maslow Hierarchy- self esteem needs. They had the feeling of wanting to fit in and be accepted by their peers. They were also going through the psychological phase of Identity VS. Role Confusion. In middle school is when puberty hits and people are still trying to figure out who they really are and so they try different things to see what kinds of things  they are really into. I asked them should teenagers have the same rights as adults, and I was surprised to see the number of students that said no. A lot of them stated good reasons as to why teenagers shouldn’t have the same rights. Some said that they didn’t want to pay bills and pay for gas and just things that adults have to do. Which made me realize that they are observant and they do realize being an adult comes with a lot of responsibilities. The teacher was really cool. He was really laid back and you could tell that he was passionate about teaching. He helped the students when they needed it, and he was nice but at the same time he warned them they he did not play around. He played music that the students could relate to, and it was very obvious that the students really enjoyed his class. The students actually participated and I also asked a few students if they enjoyed the class, and they responded that the teacher was their favorite teacher. My experience as a teacher went really well, although I wish that I would have over planned because we kind of ran out of things to talk about, and I kept basically asking the same question just in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment